Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Nivedita, Shiva: Reading Notes A

Supremacy of Shiva
In this story they talk about how Shiva isn’t welcome in Daksha house or welcome to any of his daughters for their worship or anything of that matter. I thought this story was a little hard to follow up to the point that I stopped on but pretty interesting. I think I could retell this part so that it is a lot clearer to understand and follow.  At the end of this Shiva is able to gain entry to Daksha house by way of one of his daughters who has been praying to him in secret for a long time. But she somehow died at Daksha’s feet at the end of this paragraph.

The Anger of Shiva
This was a really cool paragraph. After Sati in the last paragraph dies basically by the hands of Daksha Shiva is extremely anger with him and the sacrifices that he has at his house. Once he hears what happened he pulls a hair out of his head and throws in in to ground and a huge demon pops out of it.  Shiva then tells this demon to attach Daksha and his sacrifices. The demon cuts off his head at the end of it and destroys the gods that were in attendance there. Brahma advises the gods to make peace with Shiva because he could destroy the whole universe. They describe the demon really well in the story but that was pretty much it as far as what he did. The battle wasn’t even in the story so I think I could write about that. That I could also describe the Gods when they approach them. I really like a lot of this part of the story but I wish they would have added more information about it because it kind of lacked a lot of description for me.
(Uma beloved of Shiva: Source)

Story: Source;
Author: Sister Nivedita 

No comments:

Post a Comment